This job is no longer active. It was disabled the May 31, 2023 by Aalto University
Post-Doctoral Researcher In Service Design For Climate Policy
Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 13 000 students, 400 professors and close to 4 500 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The Department of Design is is a community of creative and responsible researchers and design experts. We educate front-line design professionals and visionaries for established, changing and emerging fields of design. (https://www.aalto.fi/en/department-of-design).
NODUS Sustainable Design Research Group is globally recognized for transdisciplinary design research to achieve sustainable futures. The research group is currently active in transition design, value-sensitive design, behavioural design and more-than-human design in the contexts of energy and mobility transitions and urban transformations. https://www.aalto.fi/en/department-of-design/nodus-sustainable-design-research-group
We are now looking for a
Post-doctoral Researcher in Service Design for Climate Policy
Are you a service design researcher with an ambition to play a role in climate policy-making? We are looking for you.
The successful candidate will have experience in co-design and prototyping of interactive services applicable to climate policy context within the ICOS Cities project funded by the European Union Horizon2020 instrument. ICOS Cities is coordinated by ICOS-Integrated Carbon Observation System and has more than 40 partners across multiple European countries.
Your role and goals
You will engage with and facilitate a broad range of stakeholders to develop a number of new service prototypes connecting observational emissions data produced by ICOS to the needs of various users present in climate policy context, especially in the pilot cities of Munich, Paris, and Zurich. You will develop and refine a methodology for service development for the use of other cities and other needs identified in the process.
The position presents a great opportunity for an early career service design researcher to work in a large, interdisciplinary consortium bridging insights and results from atmospheric and social sciences through design research.
Your network and team
You will be working as a member of the NODUS Sustainable Design Research Group in the Department of Design, Aalto University, Finland. You will be supervised by Prof. İdil Gaziulusoy and supported by a team of leading design research experts in the Department of Design. You will be closely collaborating with ICOS, representatives from the pilot cities and other researchers in the project.
Your experience and ambitions
The successful candidate will have:
- A doctoral degree in design or a field relevant to the position;
- Experience in co-design, collaborative prototyping or collaborative development of digital products/services;
- Experience in workshop facilitation and stakeholder engagement;
- Experience in producing academic outputs and communicating research results across a range of different stakeholders;
- Familarity with climate change policy context in the European Union is an advantage;
- Excellent skills in English is required. Working proficiency in Finnish, German or French is considered as an advantage.
What we offer
- Meaningful and inspiring environment. We are proud of our purpose to shape a sustainable future. We spark the game changers of tomorrow, and renew society with research-based knowledge, creativity and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Culture that inspires and includes everyone. All our work is guided by the values of the university: responsibility, courage, and collaboration. It’s the people that create Aalto, now and in the future. We want to be an open community where equality and inclusion enable curiosity, innovation, collaboration and wellbeing.
- Responsible and meaningful role contributing into our academic and societal impact, and in the end, in the wellbeing and development of our society.
- Great possibilities for competence development and learning to support your career development.
Our vast array of professional development opportunities means you will grow and learn, having the chance to participate actively in staff trainings and development projects based on your interests and needs. There is great freedom in your role, and we have a flexible modern working culture. We value work-life balance and well-being in all aspects of life.
We work in a hybrid way, and the primary workplace is Otaniemi, Espoo. The Otaniemi campus is a thriving and connected community of 100 nationalities, 13,000 students and 4,500 employees. Life at the transformed campus is vibrant and filled with amazing architecture, calming nature, and a variety of cafes, restaurants, services and good connections along the recently opened metro line.
Please submit your application through our recruitment system by May 30th. In your application, please share the following materials with us:
- An up-to-date academic CV including a list of publications;
- A motivation letter describing how you meet the criteria for the role and your ambition for the project;
- A portfolio demonstrating up to three earlier projects relevant to the call (in case of collaborative projects please explicitly define your role and responsibilities in achieving the outputs);
- Names of two referees (to be contacted if you are shortlisted and had a successful interview)
In alignment with the laws in Finland and values of our University, we follow an equal recruitment process.
Please note: Aalto University’s employees should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> Internal Jobs by using their existing Workday user account.
Want to know more about us and your future colleagues? You can watch these videos: Aalto University – Towards a better world, Aalto People , and Shaping a Sustainable Future.
Check out our new virtual campus experience: https://virtualtour.aalto.fi/
For questions about the position contact: [email protected]
In recruitment related questions, please ask HR Partner Katju Helminen, katju.helminen(at)aalto.fi
Finland is a great place for living with or without family – it is a safe, politically stable and well-organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life and was just listed again as the happiest country in the world: https://worldhappiness.report/news/its-a-three-peat-finland-keeps-top-spot-as-happiest-country-in-world/. For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/services/about-finland. & https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/welcome-to-aalto-university-and-finland-info-package .
More about Aalto University: