This job is no longer active. It was disabled the Aug. 2, 2023 by University of Turku
Post-doc/Project Researcher – Neuronal response phenotyping for neurodevelopmental Rasopathies
We have a position open to lead the development and application of dynamic phenotypic screens applied to neurons differentiated from human iPS cells representing three rare diseases of the Ras pathway that affect the nervous system. The screens will be used to identify repurposable molecules with potential for rapid entry into clinical use.
The project makes use of optical probes and actuators together with high-throughput imaging and lab automation instrumentation at a facility developed by our lab. Please find more information about the EURAS consortium here and our involvement in it here.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Generation of neural cultures expressing optical reporters and actuators from induced pluripotent stem cell lines in high density arrayed cultures.
- Using automation infrastructure to identify robust dynamic and longitudinal phenotypes of neurons in these cultures and deriving a screening assay
- Using automation infrastructure to perform screens of a drug library on differentiated neurons from a limited number of representative lines to identify hits
- Confirming and validating hits on a neural cultures originating from a larger range of iPS cell lines
- Supervision of junior researchers and collaboration with colleagues and project partners
- Documentation and reporting
- We are primarily looking for a person who has a relevant PhD degree in cell biology, molecular neuroscience or a related field. An applicant with a Masters’ degree and fewer qualifications may alternatively be considered for a Doctoral Researcher’s position or a Project Researcher’s position. In the case of a Doctoral Researcher, the applicant is expected to apply to join a doctoral programme of the University of Turku and have the corresponding required English language qualification or exemption.
- Experience in neuronal cell biology, cell signalling methods, gene transfer methods, fluorescence microscopy and neuronal cell culture
- Experience of data analysis pipelines with ImageJ/FIJI or equivalent
- Knowledge of screening concepts and statistic methods relevant to phenotypic screens
- Good knowledge of neuronal cell biology and cell signalling
- Strong motivation, persistence, initiative and independence
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Strong publication record in international journals in the field relevant to the position
- Experience with handing, transcription-factor based differentiation and maintenance of iPS cells to neuronal lineages
- Experience with the application of lab automation infrastructure
- Generation, titer quantification and use of viral gene transfer systems (AAV & lenti)
- Experience with use of imaging-based signalling reporters and dynamic and longitudinal imaging
- Good knowledge of R, Python and/or Java
- Familiarity with 3D printing and open source hardware development
- Experience of molecular cloning and optical reporter/actuator design
Our selection criteria are based on the principle of finding the most qualified and suitable candidate for the work. In practice, this means that not only education, publications and working experience but also personal qualities, communication and motivation factors and other relevant criteria will be considered.
Duration of contract
The start of employments is negotiable, preferably in August–September 2023. The position is fixed-term for 24 months (negotiable), with an eventual possibility for an extension. A six (6) month trial period applies to the position. The qualification requirements of the positions are written in the University of Turku Rules of Procedure.
What we offer you
The salary is determined in accordance with the university salary system for teaching and research personnel and will depend on the degree and qualifications of the applicant. The salary for a Doctoral Researcher/Project Researcher will be in average 2300 - 2500 euro/month and for a Post-Doctoral Researcher in average 3300 - 3500 euro/month depending on competence and experience.
Salaried positions in Finland automatically include payments to a pension fund, unemployment funds, an extensive occupational healthcare, affordable sports services and even a holiday allowance. All these positions belong to the personnel group of teaching and research personnel and have flexible working possibilities as we support a work-life balance.
What to do next
Please submit your application through the online application system no later than 1.8.2023. Kindly use a link to the online application system https://www.utu.fi/en/university/come-work-with-us.
In addition, applications must have the following enclosures (in English):
1) motivation letter (max 1 page) focusing on your strengths related to our research topics
2) CV (max 2 pages)
3) copies of degree certificates
4) contact details for at least three referees (name, working place, e-mail address)
5) a list of publications, highlighting the five most relevant ones
In case you need help with the application process, please turn to biocityhrservices(at)utu.fi
Turku Bioscience is an advanced research centre hosting, in a single site, research teams with expertise in high-end core facilities housed in this independent unit affiliated with both the University of Turku and Åbo Akademi University. The facilities for proteomics, screening and cell imaging the most relevant to the projects and are situated either in close proximity to or within our lab space, facilitating internationally competitive science in a stimulating, highly networked international community with more than half of the personnel having an international background. The working language is English. Supercomputer facilities at the Center for Scientific Computing (csc.fi) will also be used. More details about the departmental infrastructure can be found at bioscience.fi
We value equality and diversity in our work community and encourage qualified applicants, regardless of background, to apply for our open positions. Read more about us as an employer on the “Come Work with Us!” page and the welcome services for newcomers
For further information about the position, please don’t hesitate to contact michael.courtney(at)utu.fi