Manager, Mechanical Engineering
Wärtsilä is an innovative technology company known for being a forerunner in the Marine and Energy markets. Every day, we – Wärtsilians - put our hearts and minds into turning Wärtsilä's purpose of enabling sustainable societies through innovation in technology and services into reality. Our ultimate aim is to provide increased value to both our customers and society. New, game-changing ideas and continuous improvement have been part of our DNA since 1834. Together, we can create new business opportunities and more sustainable future that we can all be proud of.
We want to transition the world towards a decarbonised and sustainable future. By pushing the boundaries of engineering and technology, we can make it work. We are always on the lookout for future-oriented talent – want to join the ride?
Catalyst Systems is a Product line in the Power Supply business line. We are developing and delivering world-class emission control solutions for Wärtsilä engines. Now we are looking for a Manager, Mechanical Engineering to join our Catalyst Systems Technology team. You will be joining a Product line of 50+ excellent colleagues.
In this position, you will be leading a team of mechanical design engineers, design managers and structural analysts, as well as managing our external design partner network. The mechanical engineering team serves our research-, development- and customer delivery projects within the above-listed competencies. Typical design tasks of the team are related to heavy and hot steel structures and different auxiliary system modules and components used in emission control systems. As a team manager, you will participate very much on a daily level in the team’s work and assignments. You have an excellent possibility to collaborate across your own product line as well as with colleagues in other Wärtsilä teams like engine R&D, Energy business and service functions, for example. You should thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment while the industry and business line grow substantially.
This permanent position is to be located in Vaasa or Turku, Finland, where our engineering team is located. Please note that relocation costs and/or immigration support are unavailable for this position.
Responsibilities & accountabilities:
- Providing directions & clarity for the team: Mapping, planning, prioritising, and managing mechanical design area needs activities and their implementation
- Providing results: Delivery of design according to agreed R&D-, customer delivery- and product improvement project plans and schedules
- Ensuring quality: Continuous improvement of products, solutions, documentation and team WoW processes
- Ensuring competencies & capabilities: Team and partner network competence & capacity development according to business and technology needs
Your typical workweek could include the following elements:
- You have a big role in supporting the team with daily challenges and will work very closely with your team. Coach and empower, provide directions and lead things on the right track. The support team will release designs as planned. Remove obstacles. An excellent technical understanding of product development, mechanical engineering, design solutions, manufacturing processes, and virtual validation possibilities helps you collaborate with design experts and partners
- Planning and follow-up of mechanical development area-related activities with the team and other Catalyst Systems colleagues. You will assign and coordinate team tasks in Polarion. You have a genuine interest in getting things planned and done in a structured way
- Collaboration with design- and technology development partners
- Technical discussions about product design and development, virtual validation and tools in use
- Design reviews for concepts and development ideas
- Creating cost & work estimates for design work packages
- Planning performance targets and individual development plans for the team and individuals
- Studying rules and requirements we must meet with our products and solutions
- Evaluating customer project-specific non-standard feature requests and preparing risk & cost estimates
- Implement operational excellence improvements within our WoW, products, and documents
- Providing product line expert support on own responsibility area for lifecycle services of Catalyst products
As an ideal candidate you:
- Are M.Sc. or B.Sc. in mechanical- or industrial engineering, industrial management or similar
- Have at least 3 years of applicable work experience in design- or project management-type of work. Design team leader, engineering- or design manager or similar role is a good background for this position
- Have been successfully leading people in your role or projects
- Have previous work experience in a designer- or development role. This helps you to shine in your new role
- Have excellent communication, collaboration, and project management skills
- Have a “Can Do” -attitude combined with cost & risk management awareness
- Have a good command of English, written and spoken. Swedish and/or Finnish are seen as assets
- Have a good command of NX and Teamcenter design tools
- Have used Polarion or other similar task- and capacity planning tools in your work
- Are familiar with risk evaluation and mitigation methods like DFMEA, FMEA and can act as facilitator on risk evaluation workshop
- Have practical experience on marine industry and impact of marine rules and regulations to products
What we offer:
Welcome to a dynamic team where you have the possibility to work independently with the support of great colleagues. In the position, you will have excellent visibility over the whole chain, starting from product development to customer deliveries and installed equipment base. We want to be the best at what we do and therefore we continuously develop our expertise and way of working. The diversity of tasks and projects allows you to challenge yourself, grow in your career, and work with various groups of people.
Contact & next steps:
Please submit your application with a CV & Cover letter before the application deadline 25.02.2024 through our Careers Portal. Applications through email will not be considered. After submitting your application, you’ll receive a confirmation email. We try our best to get back to everyone within 2-3 weeks after the application deadline.
Please note that suitable candidates may be contacted, and interviews may be held during the advertisement period. The starting date for the position will be agreed upon separately, but it is as soon as possible.
Contact person to give further information:
Last application date: 25/02/2024
At Wärtsilä we value, respect and embrace all our differences, and are committed to diversity, inclusion and equal employment opportunities; everyone can be their true self and succeed based on their job-relevant merits and abilities.
All new Wärtsilä employees in Finland will attend occupational health checks, including drug tests/screenings. The country's legislation is followed when a person is located outside of Finland.
This is Wärtsilä
Wärtsilä is a global leader in innovative technologies and lifecycle solutions for the marine and energy markets. Our team of 17,000 professionals, in more than 200 locations in 68 countries, shape the decarbonisation transformation of our industries across the globe. Read more on www.wartsila.com.