Ruby on Rails Software Engineer
Leadfeeder is a fast growing international SaaS startup, headquartered in Helsinki. We are on a mission to bring web intelligence into business. Simply put, Leadfeeder helps companies know more about their website visitors, which enables them to convert promising visitors into sales leads.
Currently, Leadfeeder is a buzzing remote international team of 60+ people and more than ten nationalities, and we are hiring many key people around the world to strengthen our rapid growth.
Our 20+ strong in-house, all-remote engineering team is responsible for developing new features, and otherwise improving and maintaining the Leadfeeder product.
We are organized in feature-oriented, cross-functional squads. Each squad is responsible for specific features of the product, and works tightly together with high autonomy. Depending on the product area, squads are comprised of Backend and Frontend Engineers, Designers, and are always paired with a Product Manager. We believe in listening to everyone's ideas and feedback – no matter what your role, is you get to have a say in the product and technical decisions of your squad.
Ruby on Rails developers at Leadfeeder work mainly on our backends: building APIs, background data processing flows, and integrations. Being a very data-intensive application, much of the work on the Leadfeeder backend involves optimizing and effectively using various databases — Cassandra, AWS RDS & Aurora, Elasticsearch and Redis, to name a few.
Our backend systems are comprised of multiple small-to-medium-sized Ruby on Rails apps and supporting serverless components (AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis). We pride ourselves on keeping apps working smoothly, and the codebase tidy and well-tested. We dedicate time for upgrades, refactoring and improvements in the developer experience.
For people with skills and interest, we offer possibilities to work on our Ember.js frontend too, enabling people to grow to a fullstack role. Equally, there are opportunities to learn and be involved in infrastructure, DevOps and serverless development.
- Developing new features together with your squad
- Build internal and public APIs
- Build, benchmark and optimise our core backend components
- Helping operate our production environments on AWS
- Providing code reviews to your peers
Essentials skills and expertise:
- Good teamwork and communication skills
- Confidence in writing maintainable, well-tested Ruby on Rails apps
- Capability to work remotely
- We expect minimum four hours of overlap with central European working hours.
- Knowledge of database technologies
- Skills and the right mentality for test automation
- Experience working with various APIs
- DevOps, AWS, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes
- Serverless computing, AWS stack in particular
- Web Analytics
- Get to work in a talented, remote-first international team
- Chance to make an impact on a global product
- Actual work-life balance with healthy 40-hour work weeks
- Flexible work time
- Biannual company retreats
- Competitive salary
- Friendly and encouraging work environment
Our hiring process:
After we've received and reviewed your application, there are a number of stages in our process.
- Initial video call. You'll get to learn more about the role and our company, and we'll learn how you communicate and what are you looking for in the job.
- Home assignment. We'll test your coding skills in building a small application. You can do this at home on your own time. The assignments usually take about 6-8 hours to complete.
- Assignment review and skills interview. After our team has reviewed your assignment, we invite you to the next interview. We'll provide feedback and ask questions about your code. This interview also includes some pair-programming, where we do some improvements or additional features to your project.
- Technical interview. Qualified candidates proceed to our technical interview, where we ask more in-depth technical questions.
- Culture interview. The final step before decisions. Great cultural fit is highly important in our remote team. We also want to give you as much as possible information on how it is to work at Leadfeeder and what our culture is like.
All interviews are done remotely over video calls, but of course if you happen to be in the same city with some of our team members we're happy to organize a meeting on site.