This job is no longer active. It was disabled the Oct. 9, 2019 by VTT
Vice President, Connectivity Research Area
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT´s turnover and other operating income is 258 M€. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together. www.vttresearch.com
VTT – beyond the obvious.
We are seeking Vice President, Connectivity to lead a research area with around 100 highly skilled experts located in Espoo and Oulu, Finland. The annual total revenue of the research area is about 10M€.
At VTT, we are working with global market leaders and thus in this position, you will have a great opportunity to contribute to the development of these advanced terrestrial and satellite communications.
The role is to set visionary research agenda and to lead research and customer work for future connectivity technologies and solutions related, e.g. to the terrestrial 5G-satellite communication integration, autonomous systems connectivity, beyond 5G communication networks and cybersecurity. Currently our main customer segments are space and especially new space companies, telecom network industry, and defense and security related industrial and governmental customers.
You will play a key role in leadership, strategy, coordination, partnerships, sales and marketing. As a member of the Knowledge Intensive Products and Services business area (BA) leadership team you collaborate and contribute to the success of whole VTT, our customers and partners.
• Overall leadership of the research area, including research excellence and customer relationships
• Ensuring that VTT´s strategy and BA business plan are implemented, and research and business goals, as well as financial objectives, are met
• Research and substance leadership, research area operative planning and follow-up
• Strong contribution to the customer work, sales and marketing
• Foster relationships with all key stakeholders - businesses, public organizations, funding organizations, partners and networks.
• People leadership - wellbeing, attracting, retaining, recruiting and developing talents ensuring continuous development of the excellence in the research area.
You are passionate about research and innovations. You want to take an active role in enabling customers and society to grow and renew through applied research. You understand how the research world works, and have done research at some point in your career. You have worked in or with companies and have an understanding of their needs and way of working. Additionally, you understand how research excellence can be applied to meet those needs. You are at a career stage where you want to achieve demanding results by leading and inspiring others.
You should have:
· Strategic vision and the ability to see where the organization and our partners are headed, define opportunities, and drive actions.
· Understanding of connectivity technologies and application areas from both research and customer point of view
· Wide networks of different kinds of stakeholders: research organizations, funding organizations and instruments as well as companies both in Finland and internationally
· Strong leadership skills, including the ability to consider multiple audiences, bring people along the change curve, and articulate rationale throughout the organization and networks
· Superior communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a variety of styles.
· You have at least five years’ experience in personnel and/or technology management with direct reports
· Preferrably PhD level in a relevant field
· Fluent written and oral communication skills in English
You have both a strategic and visionary mindset, and you can translate them into actions. You are an excellent collaborator with strong leadership and influencing skills. You focus on impact – wanting to see research results turn into innovations and concrete solutions. You should also be willing to travel, as international collaboration is vital for our success.
VTT is a place to make a difference in collaboration with other brilliant minds. At VTT, we believe that our impact is built on scientific and technological excellence applied in practice. Our personnel’s wellbeing and competence development are key priorities. You will be part of a creative and international working environment.
We offer you a challenging job with the potential for producing both scientific and commercial results.